If you or your loved one has recently suffered an injury, it can be overwhelming to determine your next steps. While no one can eliminate all of the physical and emotional implications of an injury, seeking an experienced personal injury lawyer can help you move forward. A good personal injury attorney offers the following benefits:
- They understand how the law applies to your unique case and can help you make qualified decisions. They can help you uncover ways to approach your case that you may not have considered or the insurance company may not initially offer. They can also help you file your case within the statute of limitations. (The statute of limitations for personal injury cases in Georgia is two years.)
- They understand how to negotiate with insurance companies. While a large settlement is not guaranteed, personal injury cases can result in large payouts, so insurance companies will do everything they can to minimize the amount you receive. A good personal injury lawyer is knowledgeable about how to approach the insurance company to reach a fair settlement that covers your medical expenses, lost wages, and other pain and suffering.
- If you are unable to reach a settlement with an insurance company, or if the cost of the injuries exceeds the amount of the insured, a personal injury lawyer can prepare your case for trial. Choosing a personal injury lawyer with trial experience is crucial if you have to sue the auto insurance company or others to get full coverage of your medical expenses and other repercussions of your injury.
Here are factors to consider when choosing a personal injury lawyer:
- Track record of success: Look for lawyers who are experienced at getting results. When looking for a personal injury lawyer, don’t settle for a heavily advertised lawyer who exclusively handles personal injury cases. In many instances, these lawyers focus on settling as many cases as possible, avoiding trials and rarely getting the highest settlement for their clients.
- Trial experience: Most lawyers on TV are portrayed in the courtroom. In reality, many personal injury lawyers rarely set foot in a courtroom, choosing instead to limit your settlement to whatever they can negotiate with an insurance company. While this may be appropriate for some cases, it isn’t always sufficient, and you should look to a lawyer who is confident and experienced both inside and outside the courtroom.
- Treats your case like it is important – because it is: Before choosing the first lawyer you see on a billboard, ask your friends and family for recommendations. Read reviews – both good and bad – online, and interview more than one lawyer so you can choose someone you feel comfortable with. Choose a lawyer who makes you feel like family, and who has a track record of commitment to his or her clients and open lines of communication.
If you are looking for the best personal injury lawyer in Augusta, consider The Hawk Firm. Contact us today to discuss how we can help you with your personal injury case.
The Hawk Firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers, founded in 1984 by attorney Jacque D. Hawk. Today, Hawk and his associates remain committed to achieving results and are experienced in many areas of law, including criminal defense, drug possession, violent crimes, personal injury, car accident injury, medical malpractice, family/adoption law, and probate law. To discuss your legal needs, call 706-724-8537 or fill out our online contact form. Located in downtown Augusta, we serve the greater Augusta, GA, metro area, including Evans, Martinez, Grovetown, and Hephzibah, and handle cases throughout Georgia.